June 29, 2018 | Tom Ashworth
Protect Your Family from Mosquitoes!
Here lately in Burnet Texas, the Mosquitoes population has drove me nuts. We have had a wetter than usual spring (which we need) and it has really brought out the pest. Continuing with my home safety theme which I started by talking about Carbon Monoxide, I thought Mosquitoes would be a great topic.
I was having a Bar-B-Q with some friends all decked out in my shorts and sandals and the Mosquito’s were biting me like crazy. Like everyone else I was concerned about West Nile Virus and other diseases that these things carry. So like everyone else, I put on that smelly Mosquito repellant.
After the Bar-B-Q I did a little research on Mosquitoes and here is what I found out:
- There are many different species of Mosquitoes and they differ as much as a Wolf differs from a Poodle.
- Only the female Mosquito can bit Humans. More information HERE.
- There are over 3,000 different species of Mosquitoes world-wide and only a few hundred types carry disease.
- The two biggest viruses that a Mosquito can transfer to humans are the St. Louis encephalitis and West Nile.
- Dry weather does not mean less Mosquitoes. Actually the drought means less water, so it is dirtier water. That means that more Mosquitoes carry disease.
- Mosquitoes do go after certain people more. Research has shown that Mosquitoes love carbon dioxide, bacteria of sorts and lactic acid. Mosquitoes are attracted to people that sweet more. Good substances to eat that are vitamin B-12 and Garlic.
- The best thing to use as a repellant is the ThermaCell Mosquito Repellant. It covers a 15×15 foot area, it is odorless, small, no open flame, no contact with your skin and you can refill it. Find out more here.
I hope that you can enjoy your Texas Hill Country Summer as much as I plan to. If you happen to want to look at some of our beautiful Texas Hill Country Homes, just give me a call at (208)830-7992.