How to Choose A Realtor©
April 8, 2013 | Tom Ashworth
When you are choose a Realtor© you should be selective. You need to pick someone you can work with. You will be a team when it comes to selling your home, so you need to be able to work with the Realtor© as a team. Choosing a Realtor© is as important as choosing a doctor, lawyer, auto repair technician or plumber. A good Realtor© will save you money and get the highest price for your home.
According to Realtor.com it is very hard for a home owner to sell their own home for the following reasons:
- For sale By Owner (FSBO) can’t list home in the Multiple Listing Service (MLS).
- Realtors© won’t show homes.
- Owners usually overprice their homes.
- Buyers feel intimidated approaching an owner.
- FSBO’s are likely to stumble into legal trouble.
Therefore it is necessary for a serious home seller to use a Realtor©. It’s essential that your agent be experienced and accessible. Avoid using a friend or relative out of obligation. Take these steps when looking for a Realtor©.
- Ask the Realtor© for references from past clients.
- Ensure the Realtor© is licensed to sell real estate in your state. Realtors© that are members of the National Association of Realtors© are held to a strict code of ethics.
- Invite Realtors© to do a listing presentation and tell you why they are excited about selling your home. Make sure the Realtor© is able to aggressively market using social media and the Internet as the centerpiece of the strategy. A good agent will have a great web presence.
- Select a Realtor© that will be brutally honest with you. Do not choose a “Yes” person. You need honest feedback to successfully market your home.
- Watch out for agents who promise very low commissions, warns RealEstateABC.com. You risk the chance that they will do nothing more than place a sign in your yard and put your house on the multiple listing service (MLS), which makes your listing accessible to all agents, but you need someone that market your home aggressively. Look for someone who offers full service and will do everything in their power to sell your house.
- Choose a Realtor© based on research, not on company name. Most Realtors© are independent subcontractors that work for the larger company. Bigger companies often screen well and have better training programs. Ask the Realtor© about special designations they have received recently that will help them represent sellers better.
Tom Ashworth is a specialist in helping first time Texas Hill country home buyers. Give Tom or Debra a call at (208)830-7992 or email him.
Tom Ashworth has a comprehensive understanding of the current real estate market in the Texas Hill Country. Tom Ashworth’s Marketing Plan is customizable to each seller, is one of his signature tools for years of exceptional customer service in real estate. The mark of excellence combined with a reputation for integrity has earned Tom Ashworth distinction amongst the most trusted Realtors© in the Texas Hill Country.