Dripping Dollars in Horseshoe Bay Real Estate
May 28, 2013 | Tom Ashworth
Horseshoe Bay and most of the Texas Hill Country has been in a drought the last few years. If you can save money on your water bill then you can spend it improving your Horseshoe Bay Real Estate.
Conserving water maybe thought of as a “Green” thing, but it can save you lots of money here in Horseshoe Bay. Little things can contribute significantly to a large water bill.
- Leaky faucets can waste over 1,000 gallons a year
- Leaky toilets can waste 7,000 gallons a month
- A five-minute shower saves more water than a tub bath
- Water running while you brush your teeth or shave
- Sprinkler heads need to be adjusted to spray on the yard only
- Install a rain sensor on sprinkler system
- Pool equipment can be a hidden source of wasted water
A larger than normal water bill can be your first indication you have a leak. Then, you’ll need to track it down.
- Turn off all the water faucets and appliances; don’t forget the ice maker.
- Open the water meter, usually located near the sidewalk in the front of the house. You may need a water key that can be purchased from a home improvement store or possibly borrowed from a neighbor.
- Locate the dial indicating water usage. It should not be moving since all of the water is off. If it is still moving, verify that you have turned off anything that might be using water.
- If it appears to be still, make a mark with a Sharpie and wait 15 minutes. If the flow indicator has moved, you probably have a leak.
- Now that you’ve confirmed that you have a leak, you may need help in locating it. A plumber or leak specialist may be able to help you track it down and repair it.
As always if you are interested in Horseshoe Bay Real Estate or you want to sell your Horseshoe Bay Real Estate, just contact me, I am here to help (208)830-7991.