Tom Ashworth

Carbon Monoxide the Silent Killer

Carbon Monoxide The Silent killerCarbon monoxide is a silent killer you and you want to take it seriously around your home. However due to the fact it is odorless and colorless; it is hard to recognize the terminal condition may exist. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) says more than four hundred people inside the U.S. have fatal reactions annually from carbon monoxide poisoning. Also 10,000+ require emergency treatment every year.

Unmaintained water heaters, furnaces and home equipment can produce carbon monoxide. In addition, other assets will be leaking like unvented kerosene or fuel area heaters, chimneys or exhaust from automobiles or trucks running in an a garage.

The Environmental Protection Agency suggests the following to reduce exposure inside your home:

  • Keep gas appliances in proper working order.
  • Install and use an exhaust fan vented to the outdoors over gas stoves.
  • Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
  • Do not idle car inside garage.
  • Have a trained professional inspect, clean and tune-up central heating systems annually.

Headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and feelings of weakness or fatigue are a few of the most common symptoms. Lower levels of exposure to carbon monoxide may be mistaken for the flu.

Carbon monoxide alarms should be on every level of a home and especially, in sleeping areas. The alarms can be purchased for as little as $25 and plugged into the wall like a night light.

Regardless of the government requirements, no one would want to put their family, guests or themselves at risk for something so deadly.



%d bloggers like this: