Burnet, Texas

Burnet Texas City Hall

Burnet Texas City Hall

The city of Burnet is the headquarter of Burnet County, Texas. The city is inhabited by 5,987 people according to the 2010 census. David Burnet is the eponymous President after whom the city is named, he was also the first president of the Republic of Texas and served as Vice-president under Mirabeau B. Lamar.

Geography of Burnet City

The divide between the Brazos and Colorado River watersheds near the center of Burnet city is located one mile to the east of the Burnet city. Austin, Texas is 54 miles to the southeast and is roughly an hour’s drive from Burnet via the U.S. Highway 183 and State Highway 29. Georgetown and Interstate Highway 35 via State highway 29 is 36 miles to the east and San Antonio on U.S. Highway 281 is 100 miles to the south of Burnet city.

History of Burnet city

Burnet Texas Vanishing River

Burnet Texas Vanishing River

 

A Texas Ranger division commanded by Henry E. Mulloch set up a camp at the present-day site of Burnet in December 1947 to defend the frontier settlements from Indian raids. The camp station was named Fort Croghan in March 1949 and chosen as a federal fort.

After the establishment of Burnet County a town was founded next to Fort Croghan in 1852. John Hamilton the local league and labor owner lent his name to the town and the town was named Hamilton. The first courthouse set up in Hamilton was named Burnet and was established in August 1852. The name was changed in 1858 after thirty-five residents of the town voted to change it to Burnet so as to avoid confusion with another town named Hamilton in Texas. The area underwent huge growth after the arrival of the Austin and Northwestern Railroad in April, 1882. The city became the railhead for the areas to the west; however in 1892 the railroad was extended to Llano which led to the decline of Burnet as a supply point and the area became a farming and livestock center. The town was incorporated into a city in 1933.

Demographics of Burnet city

Source: U.S. Census report, 2000

The city was inhabited by 4735 people with 1,661 households and 1,114 families. The population density was 693.1 people per sq. mile. The city had 1,813 housing units at the rate of 265.4units per sq. mile.

  • Distribution by Age:
  • Under 18 years: 23.9%
  • 18-24 years: 9.5%
  • 25-44 years: 29.9%
  • 45-64 years: 17.8%
  • 65 years or older: 18.8%.
  • Median age: 37 years.
  • Income distribution:
  • Median income (household): $27,093
  • Median income (family): $37,604.
  • Median income (male): $25,663
  • Median income (female): $17,163
  • Income per capita: $13,749

Below poverty line: 11.8% of the families and 14.7% of the population inclusive of 18.1% of people under the age of 18years and 15.2% of the people aged 65 years and over.

Economy

The list of major Employers:

  • Burnet Consolidated Independent District: 285 employees
  • Burnet County government: 140 employees
  • Seton Highland Lakes Hospital: 120 employees
  • Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice substance abuse facility: 120 employees
  • City of Burnet government: 120 employees,
  • T.M.I. (semiconductor and flat panel manufacturer): 100 employees
  • E.B. grocery store: 100 employees
  • Sure Cast: 92 employees
  • Hoover Companies: 90 employees
  • Southwestern Graphite Co.: 45 employees
  • Bilbrough Marble Co.: 25 employees
  • Lone Star Industries: 25 employees
  • Dash Covers, Inc.: 25 employees

Education in Burnet city

The students in the city attend schools in Burnet Consolidated Independent School District which home to the Burnet High School Bulldogs.

Camp Longhorn is a summer camp located just outside the city and has two branches: Inks Lake and Indian Springs.

Transportation

Burnet Texas

Burnet Texas

There are two main highways:

U.S. Highway 281: it is located 100 miles to the south of the city and is a north-south route connecting Burnet to the towns of Lampasas and Marble Falls, San Antonio.

State Highway 29: it is an east-west route that connects Burnet with Llano and Georgetown.

The two highways intersect in Georgetown.

Kate Craddock Field is the Municipal Airport of the city and is a general airport. The State Highway 29 on U.S. Highway 281 is located one mile to the north of the Airport. The Airport has a 5,000 foot lighted runway with a full-length taxiway, which can handle aircraft with up to 34,000 pounds per wheel. The Highland Lakes Squadron of the Commemorative Air Force is located in the Airport.

Tourists Attractions

The famous tourist attractions in the area are:

  • Highland Lakes
  • Longhorn Cavern
  • Inks Lake State Park
  • The Historic Burnet Square
  • The Highland Lakes Air Museum
  • Fort Croghan Museum and Grounds
  • The Vanishing Texas River Cruise
  • Hamilton Creek Park
  • Galloway Hammond Recreation Center
  • Delaware Springs Golf Course
  • The Austin Steam Train Association’s Hill Country Flyer

There are buildings over 100 years old situated in the Historic Square which also has many eateries and novelty shops.

If you are interested in Real Estate in the Texas Hill Country, please feel free to contact Tom Ashworth (208)830-7991.