The town of Bluffton Texas has a long and rich history. The town, now known as New Bluffton is located on Farm Road 2241, Lake Buchanan is nearby and the city of Llano in Llano County is located twelve miles in the southwest.
The town’s first inhabitant was a man named Billy Davis who set up his home on the west Bank of the Colorado River in the year 1852; this was also one of the first settlements in the area known as Llano County today. Soon, Mr Davis was joined by his relative, I.B. Maxwell. According to the legend Mr Maxwell named the area Bluffton after his hometown of Bluffton, Arkansas or maybe the reason was the Bluffs faced eastern bank of the Colorado River.
The town was known for its salt operations owned by Davie Cowan and due to its vicinity from many Colorado River crossings between Burnet and points west. John O. Brown became the first postmaster of the town in 1873.
By 1883, the town had become a stage stop between Llano and Burnet and had many small businesses including a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, a lodge and a bar among others. The same year a fire destroyed much of the town and it was rebuilt half a mile to the north, the perpetrators were suspected to be a bunch of inebriated cowboys.
The railroads bypassed Bluffton which led to its decline. The construction of Buchanan Dam (originally named Bluffton Dam) led to the town site being submerged in 1937 which led to Bluffton being relocated five miles to the west.
Lake Buchanan caused the State Highway 29 between Burnet and Llano to be relocated which further marginalized Bluffton. The town had a population of 75 in 1986 with the economy dependent on ranching, tourism and retirement related services, the town also had a store and a post office, the population had remained unchanged by the year 2000.
The Old Bluffton has been submerged by Lake Buchanan. The original town site was submerged in 1939 after the completion of the dam. Relocation from the town started in the year 1931, several miles to the west. Many ranches and profitable pecan trees were lost due to the Dam. In 2011 the town re-emerged after a drop in lake levels due to a severe drought.
If you are interested in Real Estate in the Texas Hill Country, please feel free to contact Tom Ashworth (Smart Path Realtor) at (512)588-6020.